Understanding Physical Disabilities
- Speak normally and directly to the the person. Don’t speak to the person who is with them.
- People with physical disabilities often have their own ways of doing things. Ask before you help.
- Be patient. People will tell you what they need.
- Don’t touch assistive devices, including wheelchairs, unless it’s an emergency.
- Tell the person about accessible features in the surrounding area (automatic doors, accessible washrooms, etc.).
- Remove obstacles and rearrange furniture so they have clear passage.
To Learn More…
Looking Beyond Appearances– using expert knowledge to help students achieve success
Defining Disability a Complex Issue
World Health Organization – Understanding Disability
Régie des rentes Québec – Disability
Santé et Services sociaux Québec – Personnes handicapées
Aide financières aux étude Québec – Loans and Bursaries Program
A guide containing information on the various programs and services offered by government departments and agencies to persons with disabilities. The information is organized by category. This guide is available in French only.
Guide to persons with disabilities
Revenu Québec – Persons with Disabilities – Disability Deduction
Quebec Association of Post Secondary Students with Disabilities (QAPSD)
Canadian Government-Human Rights and Disabilities
Parliament of Canada – Persons with Disabilities in the Canadian Labour Market: An Overlooked Talent Pool
Technical Advisory Committee on Tax Measures for Persons with Disabilities
Guide to Government of Canada Services for People with Disabilities and their families
Canadian Heritage – Canadian Rights Reporter – Disability rights
Statistics Canada – Children with disabilities and the educational system — a provincial perspective
Financial Support Programs for Children with Disabilities
The Québec Society for Disabled Children
University of McGill:
Office for Students with Disabilities
l’Université de Montréal:
Soutien aux étudiants en situation de handicap
Access Centre for Students with Disabilities
l’Université de Laval:
Association des étudiantes et étudiants handicapé(es)
Student Accessibility & Accommodation Services
l’Université de UQAM:
Services à la vie étudiante – Accueil et soutien aux étudiants en situation de handicap